© 2014 by VALERIE KEYSER.                                   Email: valerie@valeriekeyser.com

Billy Flynn's Battle

August 23, 2017

It’s been one hectic month since I have last posted a blog, most importantly, my friend- Nicole has a son who is fighting for his life. Here is his story…


On Wednesday July 19th, 2017 around 4:00pm William “Billy” Flynn was involved in a Dirt Bike vs. SUV accident. He was the passenger on back of the dirt bike which was driven by his friend. Billy was logged between the bike and the SUV which kept him pinned until help arrived. He was unconscious and immediately flown to Lee Memorial Hospital in Fort Myers, Florida. (Fort Myers is also Billy’s hometown.) As soon as he arrived at the ER, the Trauma Team was ready and his friends and family immediately gathered to show support and love. A prayer chain was started! We are believing for a miracle!


Tests that evening showed Billy had a TBI (traumatic brain injury), a broken clavicle and severe abrasions across his neck. The Trauma Doctor acted quickly and performed surgery to stop the brain bleed and start to reduce the swelling that was forming in his brain. For this, they put an Intracranial Pressure (ICP) Monitor aka a “bolt” into his brain and placed him in an induced coma. Billy also had several apparatuses put in/on his body to sustain life and help him improve. These include the ventilator, feedings tubes, catheter, trach tube, peg tube and so on.


On Friday July 28th, a MRI showed that Billy suffered a severe DAI (Diffuse Axonal Injury) to the frontal part of his brain in the white matter. This explained why he had not yet regained consciousness. 90% of patients that sustain this type of brain injury do not regain consciousness and the 10% that do have severe impairments.


However, on August 1st Billy slightly regained consciousness even though he was still unresponsive at this point.


A few days later, August 4th in the evening, Billy was transferred to the Step-Down Unit at Lee Memorial Hospital. Here he was being cared for and evaluated for Inpatient Rehab Facilities which he would later be transferred to. Since he has no insurance the options are few. The only two that came back with potential acceptance was Brooks in Jacksonville Florida and Shepherd in Atlanta, GA.


On August 16th Billy was transferred by ambulance to Brooks in Jacksonville, Florida which is where he will remain until further notice. Billy is considered a “charity case” in which they have allotted him 14 days of stay and care. Although the family is extremely grateful for these 14 days they are also aware he will be needing longer care. Brooks has been and is an extraordinary place! They offer the most up-to-date brain injury rehabilitation technologies in the region, allowing Billy's team to help him reach the highest-level of recovery and participation in life. Every day he is improving! Praise the LORD! evel of recovery and participation in life.


We are believing God for funds to come through and for Billy to receive complete healing and full restoration. God is showing Himself mightily glorious.


This is one story…all for His glory! #BillyStrong

Please reload